Just a hat kinda day.

All the lavender pinks to the front please.

I think this will be the 4th or 5th Oslo Hat I’ve made, first one with the updated pattern from March 2021. Mostly because I’m curious on what’s different ..and with chilly mornings & evenings setting in, it feels extra cozy to make woolly things.

I’m holding two strands of fingering weight together (like the pattern suggests), but I’m using two different colors for a soft marled effect. Cute boring stuff happening here.

Ok, first thing, the fold up brim is now joined on the needles instead of sewn, and honestly I kinda missed the whipstitched join of the original (this of course comes from someone who enjoys hand sewing), even still, I had a little bit of a tough time picking up stitches, because it’s not provisionally cast on (which gives you live stitches to work with), so you are literally just picking up a stitch in each cast on stitch and knitting it together with the stitch on the needle. Bonus – there is a video if you need assistance and you only use one circular needle ..but it’s tight work, like real tight. Also, I really hate the messy ball stage, ugh..

P. S I made the oranges smell like oranges! 🍊

16 rows deep, the hustle is setting in. I have to use a counter so I don’t f-up the decreases, not really for keeping count, just for knowing if I’m on an even or odd numbered round. ODD = remember to do the flipping decreases, EVEN = you’re doing great doing nothing. Oh, and remember when there aren’t many stitches left, stop and re-read the pattern, you’re almost done and there is a good chance in your race to finish, you will screw this up.

It’s funny, this is also the point where I really push the limits to see how few stitches I can continue to work using my 16″ circulars, before giving in and switching to double points, I don’t know why that switch out seems like such a damn chore.

The only other notable difference between the original Oslo and the updated pattern are the decrease stitches, it’s a different combo and there is now a stitch between them. I like the feathered look of them.

Squishy, freckled and done.

Cotton Wool

To say I like colors to match is a little bit misleading, while I love a good contrast, a perfect match that’s beautifully coordinating, takes me to a whole other place. To prove it, I made a cute milky chocolate bag all in one fabric, in my usual style, just to see how it would look to be completely matched throughout. I used a standard weight cotton so it had to be interfaced, and yes I’m still terrible at iron on interfacing and yes it looks like elephant skin ..but I think it might have partly been my technique, because I’ve actually read the directions since and you are supposed to use a lot of steam! I should probably just stick with sew in interfacing, sturdy canvas/cotton duck for my structure. The handles are okish, slightly plump from using a fleece interfacing inside, but I’m rough on handles and like them to stay looking brand new even after hard use, and these will crumple, I mean they already are, but in a pinch and if I didn’t have spools of cotton webbing on hand, these would work perfectly fine, not to mention they match exactly. I like the drawstring, I might even like the look better than cord, but it’s not as smooth of a draw closed as cording, so that’s something.

..but I still really really love it..

l feel like I haven’t knit much, things are getting done but almost don’t count because they’ve mostly been repeat stuff, my favorite makes, my mindless knits, socks, hats, the same old same old comfort knitting.

I cast on a Tiny Tassels in my favorite Koigu wool because it was one of the oldest queued patterns in my library and one of the oldest yarns in my stash, and the combination felt boring enough to be thoroughly enjoyable.

I made a glow in the dark bottle of milk (stitch marker) for my new shawl and a funny little strawberry shaker for my new elephant bag.

Using a dk weight wool for a larger shawl.

A finished tassel-less Tiny Tassels, not sure if it will ever get tasseled either.

..but I still I really really love it..

It’s Friday and I hope you’re doing alright. 💕

wove in 14 pictures

It starts with just 2 skeins of sock yarn.

(75% sw Merino\ 25% nylon – not necessarily important, but something somewhat strong works best, because the warp is under the most stress)

Direct warp on a 15″ rigid heddle loom.

Weft yarn same as warp.

Heddle up shuttle to the left, beat, heddle down shuttle to the right, beat, repeat.

(I keep my up = left & down = right consistent, that way I never undo what I just did :)

Miles and miles of tidy edge plain tabby weaving. The trick to straight selvages, stay obsessed with weft tension.

(This can be tricky with sock yarn, that dang nylon not only adds strength, but also adds stretch, bounce and recoil, if you pull it too taunt, it can suck in and pucker the edge.
I also don’t over beat between passes, just a light kiss, leaving a little more open weave now will result it a more supple scarf later, it will pull in on itself (recoil) once it’s cut off the loom. Alternatively over beat if you want something more dense/stiff in the end.)

Hemstitched. (4×3)

Hot soapy soak and a little friction, to aid in the bloom. (rosewood scent)

Blocked flat, trimmed fringe.

A smidge longer than my usual 100″ and a bit mellower than I expected.
..completely in love..

💕