and then there was more…

Cripes I always do this, make loads of “samples” trying to get it just right! 

It’s frustratingly good…good because I get to work out designs & colors that have been on my mind & in my queue, freeing up mental storage :) eating away at the yarn hoard is always excellent, freaking out on sweet edgings & nerding out on the numbers gives me endless pleasure…frustrating because it’s a lot of ripping back to switch this or that up, not writing down changes I make & then swearing my way around a silly potholder, telling myself it’s a use stash only project & then wishing for colors I don’t have. Getting it perfect, then thinking WTF I now have to make 5 of these!

The mojo is there, the complete loyalty & devotion to a solitary pattern is not, although now it’s narrowed down to 2 patterns…2 lovely patterns…

No. 1

   

This sweet little sun hat potholder is from an old issue of Workbasket Magazine. I found a copy of it tucked inside another vintage booklet, so I am unsure of what year or issue this was originally published in (if you know pop in and tell me!) I did happen across a FREE version of it online right here!

The pattern calls for #10 thread & a 1.65mm hook, but when I made one up as directed it was a tiny 6″ across. I really wanted it a bit bigger, so I re-wound my thread into a center pull cake, that way I could hold it double (pulling one strand from the center & 1 strand from the outer) I used a 3mm hook to work the “new” thread for the front & back. Finished size is now 8″ ..perfect!

Worked this one in tea stained white thread, but it ended up looking slightly grubby..well lets just call it “creepy antique wedding dress from the attic” looking :) …kind of loving this one.

No. 2

   

A Japanese pouch/coin purse Pattern from the book 50 Crocheted Motifs & 22 Works, you can find the book at yesasia!

Again I used #10 thread held double & a 3mm hook to jumbo size it to 8″, but this time for the back I used worsted wt cotton to beef it up a little, I thought this was brilliant, until I tried to match the thread front to the worsted back (I’m a dope) the stitches were not 1 to 1…fussed with it forever & finally got it sorted & settled in.   

I am still lusting after the original pouch..lined with linen..oh yes..nice… I just need to get my hands on a purse frame that has a big jawbreaker/gumball twist closure!

 

 

comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s